Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Black Canyon of the Gunnison- Green Mountain (North Rim) [05-19-2014]

Green Mountain is really the only long (official) trail at black canyon.  I highly recommend it-- there are great views from the top, and you'll probably be the only one there (at least I was, in late May).  The trail starts by the visitors center at the North Rim.  Follow the North Vista trail 1.5 miles to Exclamation Point (isn't that adorable), and then stay right, you'll see signs that say "Green Mountain: 2 miles" (it took me awhile to find the sign, I was walking in circles for awhile in the wrong direction).

The first 1.5 miles of the trail are very flat.  After you reach Exclamation Point, though, it's a steady climb up to the top of Green Mountain.

Also note: the north rim is inaccessible in the winter because the road is completely closed.  Additionally, if you camped in the south rim, like I did, it's about 2 hours to drive from the south to north rim-- there's no bridge across, so you have to go around.  I think it's worth it to spend a bit of time at both rims, though.

Trail name: North Vista Trail (continue past exclamation point to Green Mountain for the full 7 miles)
Distance (RT): 7 miles
Elevation change: ~900 ft.
Time: 3-4 hrs


1 comment:

  1. awesome! I will definitely follow your advice when I go there in the future

    ReplyDelete