Friday, August 1, 2014

Sugarloaf Mountain (Dickerson, MD) July 2014

This was a hilarious hike.  I am deeply concerned any time I am with a large group of people and I am the most prepared/fit person in that group.  I ended up doing this hike because I had asked my friend if he and his wife wanted to go on a hike, but they were already going with some of her coworkers, so I just tagged along.  I showed up to find a group of people featuring one guy wearing something resembling low-top keds, and two girls in jeans who hadn't brought water.  Yeah. 

Hilarious anecdotes aside, this was actually a really nice hike.  Sugarloaf Mountain has four colored trails that you can follow, to make hikes of pretty much whatever length you want, which I think is a nice feature. 

We parked in the east parking area.  From there, we picked up the White Trail and headed on to the Blue Trail.  We then took the purple trail to the White Rocks, which was a nice view.  We followed the blue trail back all the way around to near the two parking areas, then picked up the green trail to make it to the summit.  We headed down on the orange trail. 

The hike itself was really nice.  It was mostly forested, and the trail was rocky but super well-maintained and mostly flat, which I love.  The summit is at 1282'.  East coast hiking, lolllll.  Some of the girls in jeans without water had a few problems, but so it goes.  I would totally go back here, because it's closer to D.C. than Shenandoah, and is less of a full-day committment.  You can take the yellow trail the whole way for a 7 mile loop- the blue/purple/white trail combo we did was probably more like 5-6 miles. 

The trail map itself is pretty excellent as well.  (http://sugarloafmd.com/images/maps/102709_trailmap.pdf)  All in all a nice hike. 

No comments:

Post a Comment